Sunday, August 11, 2013

My Review of Honest Diapers

Like many expecting mamas, I received a closet full of diapers at my baby shower, which was awesome! However when my son was born, his skin was very sensitive. Switching to fragrance and dye free laundry soap did the trick for his clothes, but diapers were a struggle for the first few months. His poor little butt was always red! It didn't matter what product we used on it. My MIL would not stop putting a 1/4 inch thick layer of desitin on his rear which I then had to scrub off the next time he pooped making his butt even more red. He however never seemed to be too bothered by the redness so eventually we just accepted it.

However after around 4 months, we finally ran out of the diapers we got as gifts, and when we were about to go buy a box of pampers (the brand we liked best), I saw an add on Facebook for chemical free diapers that came in adorable patterns! As you may know, I am a costume designer, and the idea of having different patterns of diapers to match to his outfits was amazing. So I ordered our free trial of diapers.

I believe the trial came with 7 diapers and a travel pack of wipes, which I used mixed in with his remaining diapers because I didn't want to use all the cuteness all at once. We mainly decided to switch because we liked the idea of having diapers and wipes delivered every month and I liked the cute patterns, we weren't that concerned with the chemical free-ness. It was worth the extra $15 compared to huggies brand.

We were however pleasantly surprised when a few days after exclusively using these diapers, his butt redness entirely went away, and has never come back!


Obviously, because we are still subscribing, we are pleased enough with the company and diapers that we don't even consider switching back to store bought diapers. So here is what I do an don't like about the diapers.

Do Like:

  • The patterns! Here is what we currently have for our pattern assortment (it comes from two shipments).

  • The lack of diaper rash.
  • The fact that they are delivered before need them. For those curious about the amount you get, for us it is WAY more than we enough. We actually have put off our next shipment by a month and a half because we have so many left over. The extras added up over the months so that we are just now starting to use a box we received over a month and a half ago. And that is after giving a bag full to my boss who mainly cloth diapers, because she uses disposable when they travel and seventh generation is hard to come by in this town. The same goes for wipes, we have four big packs left, plus the travel ones we bought as extras. And we use the wipes for EVERYTHING. We wipe his butt with them, we wipe his face after meals, we wipe down his toys when they need a quick swipe, we have used them to clean our cars...
  • How easy it is to update your preferences, everything from size and pattern, to when you want to have your next shipment delivered.
  • Absorbancy. When he first started going all night with no diaper change we had some leakage, and just when we were considering getting a different diaper for nighttime, it stopped. Not sure why, but it did. Hasn't happened in a couple months.
Don't Like:
  • I wish the wipes were able to go into a plastic pop-up container. I missed that about our huggies brand wipes (which were also fragrance free and didn't bother his bum). However now I have adjusted, and while it would still be nice, I don't mind as much.
  • While it is awesome that they come out with new patterns quite often, it is sometimes sad when you get attached to a certain design and only have it a couple months (I LOVED the comic book design, which isn't offered anymore).


With our next baby we are going to put that we don't want any diapers if we have a baby shower, and just start using Honest Diapers from the start. That is if we don't decide to cloth diaper, in which case I believe we will try gDiapers because I have heard so many good things about them. I always recommend Honest to friends who are having diaper rash problems. They also have reusable swim diapers, which we don't use anymore, but we did when he was too little for the disposable ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment