Monday, July 29, 2013

My Nerdy Little Wedding Ceremony

The biggest part of the wedding for me was the ceremony, I wanted it to be perfect, but not "traditional". As some of you may know, Caleb and I were already legally married for seven months before we had our ceremony. We only had one member of the wedding party ask why we were having a wedding, I think the look I gave him shut him up real quick. I spent weeks searching the internet for a wedding ceremony I liked and finally found this one:
 http://offbeatbride.com/2012/04/silly-ceremony-wording-with-zero-religion

I absolutely loved it, so I tweaked it a bit, and then sent it off to our officiant who said it was great and Voila! Here is our version of the script we used for our ceremony!

Officiant:
Good evening friends, family, and you back there. Not sure who you are. We've got this little detail of a marriage to take care of before we can start the party. We have all been invited here today to share a very important moment in Caleb and Hayley’s lives. No, not the premiere of Game of Thrones season 4, or the second Hobbit movie which for some reason has Orlando Bloom in it, but that their love and understanding for each other has grown and matured, and they have decided to live their lives together as husband and wife.

Caleb and Hayley thank you for your presence here today, and now ask for your encouragement and lifelong support in their decision to become a family.
Marriage is perhaps the greatest and most challenging adventure of all human relationships. As good as I may be… and believe me, I am very good… No ceremony can create your marriage; only you can do that – through love and patience; through dedication and listening; through supporting and believing in each other. By fighting through the zombies and vampires; through the Sith and bounty hunters. By learning to make the important things matter, and letting go of the rest. What this ceremony can do is to witness and affirm the choice you make to stand together despite the occasional urge to run away.
To make a marriage work, we learn to overlook and forgive the things that may frustrate us. Like Caleb being absent-minded and always forgetting what Hayley says two minutes after she says it. Or Hayley being stubborn and getting angry due hunger because she was too lazy to make lunch. These two are promising to stick together through all the poopy diapers, unfolded laundry, and dirty dishes. To support one another through all the bad traffic, annoying co-workers, and airport security lines.


Now we will have the maid of honor read you the poem Love by Roy Croft.


Brittany:

“I love you

Not only for what you are,
But for what I am
When I am with you.

0I love you,
Not only for what
You have made of yourself,
But for what
You are making of me.

I love you
For the part of me
That you bring out;
I love you
For putting your hand
Into my heaped-up heart
And passing over
All the foolish, weak things
That you can’t help
Dimly seeing there,
And for drawing out
Into the light
All the beautiful belongings
That no one else had looked
Quite far enough to find.

I love you because you
Are helping me to make
Of the lumber of my life
Not a tavern
But a temple.

Out of the works
Of my every day
Not a reproach
But a song.

I love you
Because you have done
More than any creed
Could have done
To make me good.
And more than any fate
Could have done
To make me happy.
You have done it
Without a touch,
Without a word,
Without a sign.

You have done it
By being yourself.


Officiant:
Caleb take Hayley 's right hand and repeat after me.

Hayley, I choose you to be my wife.
I promise freely from this day forward
To be worthy of your trust and deserving of your confidence;
To be generous with my time, my energy and my love;
To be patient with you and with myself,
To trust you;
To be devoted to you and our life together.
These things I pledge before you, our friends, and our family.


Hayley take Calebs 's right hand and repeat after me.
Caleb, I choose you to be my husband.
I promise freely from this day forward
To be worthy of your trust and deserving of your confidence;
To be generous with my time, my energy and my love;
To be patient with you and with myself,
To trust you;
To be devoted to you and our life together.
These things I pledge before you, our friends, and our family.


Their beautiful son will now present the rings which represent their bond.

Officiant: Will you, Caleb, love Hayley with all your heart and keep her as your wife for the rest of your life?

Caleb: I will

Officiant: Will you, Hayley, love Caleb with all you heart and keep him as your husband for the rest of your life?

Hayley: I will

Officiant:“In the sight of the Seven, I hereby see you these two souls, binding them as one for eternity. Look upon one another and say the words.”

Caleb & Hayley: Father. Smith. Warrior. Mother. Maiden. Crone. Stranger. I am his/hers, and s/he is mine, from this day, till the end of my days


Officiant:What love has joined together, no power in the 'verse can stop.



I now pronounce you more officially married. You may kiss the bride!


No comments:

Post a Comment